At the Winter Olympics in Russia, there is a heat wave. People on snow slopes are taking off their tight ski outfits to get some "sun".
In the Northeast, they report more snow storms since January 1, 2014, than at any time in history.
We just got a report from Indianapolis, that snow is piled up as high as some houses, because there has been no place to put it. Now as it melts the roads are more dangerous than ever, a mix of ice, snow and slush.
In California, Governor Brown has asked for water restrictions because that state is in the worst drought of 40 years, causing distress for the vegetable and fruit industry. Some cities are worried that they can't provide for their citizens.
In Northern New Mexico, on February 16th, normally deep into winter ski season, it is so dry, we had a dust storm. It looked more like Oklahoma during the dust bowl days. From high on our mountain at the "Upper Ranch" I am now looking at the northeastern range of the Sangre De Cristos Mountains. There is no snow, no, that is incorrect. I see a thin strip and scattered patches of snow up there, on mountains that once were solid white with snow during the winters. Today we wore shirtsleeves in New Mexico it was so warm. The ski slopes are trying to make snow but when temperatures are just barely, often well above freezing at night, it is a bit difficult, and temperatures are rising.
Now does something seem out of balance? I mentioned it in a Facebook post and one of my Tea Party readers answered "And the sky is falling". Apparently it is not politically correct for some people to admit that we have had extraordinary weather. That may say more about them than the actual weather. They need to look again out their windows and then ask if the sky is falling and upon who.
- The thousands of farmers in California, Texas and New Mexico who are facing bankruptcy, feel like their world is falling apart. More agricultural businesses and farms have failed over the last 3 years since anytime since the droughts of post Depression days of the 1950's.
- For businesses in the Northeast that have had over 30 weather impacted days and loss of productive work, since January 1, they are feeling very nervous because of impacts to profit margins.
- For hundreds of city and state leaders who have busted their budgets in weather clean up and damage control, they are begining to believe the snowy sky fell on them. No doubt they will have to announce tax increases to pay bills.
- For airlines which have shown multiple days with over 3000 flights cancelled, they already anticipate that their annual profits will be diving. (Expect higher air fares as a result).
- For utility companies that have been unable to supply power to millions of Americans, because of downed lines and adverse weather, their annual profts are already looking more like a loss. Rising utility bills will certainly follow for much of the Northeast.
- For those who have had personal injuries because of these upside down weather events, such as the woman who was killed by a snow plow while carrying an unborn baby (who was barely saved in an emergency room), or the thousands who have been stranded in their cars or homes without power or heat, more than the sky has fallen.
- In New Mexico, California, and Texas, ranchers, farmers and city leaders know that if they do not get rain and snow in January and February, there may not be enough water for crops, animals or communities in June, July and August. Those who cannot pay their bills are facing bankruptcy.
I spoke to a "right wing" radio host and suggested the science that overwhelmingly points to changed weather patterns because of Global Warming. He did a sarcastic response to his audience that went something like "They Are Crazy". That put me in the company of 90% of the world's weather experts. City dwellers are more distant from the land and often don't see or feel the impacts of Mother Nature. But when we report from what we affectionatelly call "The Upper Ranch" and look at these dry forests, empty streams and snowless mountains, with 70 degree days in "Ski Season February", we get a confirmation that weather patters are askew. On the other side of the weather situation, the very same weather patterns that divert needed rain and snow from the west, dumps it on a frozen east.
I have a rock that hangs from a rope which we call the "Weather Rock". It is there for those who don't want to believe in science. When it is wet, it is raining. When it has snow on it, it is snowy. When it makes a shadow, it is sunny. When it sways, it is windy. It is there, for all of the people who don't want to accept the science of weather. It is there to remind us of reality. So, just use your brains and eyes and observe. My weather rock is reporting: "Dry and hot in the West, Wet and Cold in the East".